Family trends are interesting things. Each family has different traditions and different rituals they take part in. I think it becomes a part of their family identity. With a certain name, comes a certain tradition associated with it.
Some of our traditions\rituals include:
Making caramel popcorn for each General Conference broadcast.
Wearing new pajamas for Christmas Eve.
Specially picked dinners for the birthday girl\boy.
A yearly trip to Lagoon.
And probably the most popular ritual of them all-- sitting together as a family and quoting movie after movie, sometimes word for word. We are pretty great at doing that. You should try it sometime. Quoting movies is really fun!
Another aspect of my family that I sincerely take for granted has to do with the fact that I was born in this great country, already guaranteeing success, education, economic resources, and security. We discussed immigration of Mexican families to America and how in the long run if affected their parental relationships, as well as the relationships with their extended families. I have never considered how much of a sacrifice that would be on family relationships. I probably take my family relationships for granted. Appreciation is always deserved when you have a family. I love my family, and I wouldn't want anything bad to happen to them. Life isn't that way though. For reasons not always obvious, I know I have the family I do for a reason. You guys are my favorite support group.
We aren't perfect, but we are close knit and successful as a family system. Having a happy family does not mean you are perfect. I think this last year my entire family could come to the consensus that family is hard... and heart breaking, but wonderful, happy, and great all at the same time!
Shout out to the fam. We may never be perfect in this life, but by golly we are pretty great together. I love you guys. I think I'll say that in some form or another in every single post I write. I'm okay with that.
I must say that I love all the traditions you mentioned. Chris and I are hoping to have similar traditions for our family!
ReplyDeleteNow you have to think of your rodents too.... those will need to be included in your traditions ;)
ReplyDelete